I know we’re pushing hard to end this year on high note. With the end in sight, stress levels running high, and frustration mounting toward all the imperfect people and processes at work (and everywhere else) – I have good news for you!
While we’re also imperfect humans, we DO have control over how we show up each workday.
Here’s 7 actions that can take you from wishing for a better week to winning the week:
- If a meeting is a waste of my time, I can speak up or leave the (virtual) room.
- I can take the time to send clear, actionable e-mails that don’t require virtual ping-pong
- I can show my work. Whether it’s through a Kanban board or status report, my colleagues and leaders know what I’m working on, where I’m nailing it, and where I’m stuck.
- I can connect with others. I don’t need to wait for a company social event, or scheduled wellness walk, or planned happy-hour. I can send a chat message, text, or pick up the phone today.
- I can lead great meetings. I can set clear objectives, invite the right attendees, practice inclusive facilitation, and ensure actions have owners.
- When attending meetings, I can get curious and ask short questions that help further the conversation.
- I can take control of my calendar with the blocks I need for real work, not accept every meeting that comes my way.
These actions do more than help us as individuals. They help us shift our work culture toward the positive, and productive.
Put it in action
If this list feels like one more thing on a mile long do list, pick one and practice it the rest of the month, then pick another for January, and another for February, etc.
By summer, you’ll master all 7, and those feelings of frustration and lack of control will be silenced by a better way of working.